November 21, 2017
SENT VIA EMAIL TO AUOMA REGISTERED COLLECTORS AND PROCESSORS
RE: NOTICE of 2018 Return Incentives, Paying on Processed Weight, and New Forms
Dear Registered Collectors and Processors,
On September 30, 2017 I shared an update introducing Alberta’s used oil materials program changes that will come into effect on January 1, 2018. These include:
- Reducing the Return Incentive (RI) rate for used lubricating oil by 15 per cent across all zones
- Paying on processed weight (rather than collected weight)
- Increasing the RI rate on used oil plastic containers and filters (i.e., see the “2018 Return Incentive Rates” attachment) to account for the estimated average difference between processed weight and collected weight for these materials
In preparation for these changes, I am sharing the 2018 material-specific Collector Zone Summary Forms and Processor Return Incentive Claim Forms that will replace the current forms and support paying on processed weight. I am also sharing the 2018 combined Collector and Process Registration Form that streamlines the registration process. There are a total of seven new forms and they are enclosed with this letter. This is a preview for our registered Collectors and Processors, those with the greatest reliance on these forms. The forms will be available on the AUOMA website on December 1, 2017. Before they are officially posted, a representative from AUOMA will reach out to book a 1:1 conversation with you. We are offering these conversations as a means to ensure that you are aware of and feel equipped to manage the forthcoming program changes and new forms.
What to Expect
- Material collected up to December 31, 2017 will be paid at current RI rates, based on collected weight, and reported on the current forms (i.e., 2017 forms). The current forms will remain posted on the AUOMA website until the middle of February 2018.
- Material collected on or after January 1, 2018 will be paid at the 2018 RI rates, based on processed weight, and reported on the new forms. The new 2018 forms will be available on the AUOMA website on December 1, 2017. They must be used for materials collected on or after January 1, 2018.
- Processors continue to be the recipients of RI payments and will be held financially responsible for the accuracy and completeness of all information submitted to AUOMA relating to collected and processed used lubricating oil, oil containers, and oil filters.
New Forms for 2018
To help support the 2018 changes, AUOMA is updating its Manual for Registered Processors and Collectors. The revised manual will reflect the program changes and provide a step-by-step look at the responsibilities of AUOMA and Registered Collectors and Processors. It will be distributed and posted to the AUOMA website in mid-December.
I am also attaching four documents intended to help address key questions:
- 2018 Return Incentive Rates
- What’s New for 2018 – Collector Zone Summary Forms
- What’s New for 2018 – Processor Return Incentive Claim Forms
- Frequently Asked Questions
Please review the documents and make note of any questions that you will want to discuss during your 1:1 conversation. In the interim, you are welcome to reach out to me directly with any questions or concerns.
I appreciate you continuing to work with AUOMA through this time of change. We continue to look for opportunities to enhance the program, including working with the Government of Alberta on regulatory advancements.
Jodi Tomchyshyn London,
Executive Director, Alberta Used Oil Management Association
cc. Lee Wilkie, Chair, Alberta Used Oil Management Association
cc: Wendy Jeatt, Senior Program Analyst